POSTED: March 03 2021
Making Apprenticeships work for you.

Making Apprenticeships work for you.

advo hr takes a look at Apprenticeships and remind you of a government incentive payment of £2,000 if you hire an apprentice that starts with you between 1 August 2020 and 31 March 2021. The deadline to make this claim is 30 April 2021.

It is little known that apprenticeships are not just for school leavers and young people. There is no upper age limit. Anyone over the age of 16 and not in full-time education is eligible to become an apprentice.

As a result of the pandemic, some young people may be considering a broader range of different options to develop their career prospects. If they had previously considered further full-time education or university, some may now be more open to other alternatives.

The purpose the apprenticeship scheme combines working with studying to gain skills and knowledge in a specific job. Apprenticeships must last for at least a year. However, they can last up to 5 years depending on the level the apprentice is studying. The level of apprenticeships can range from the equivalent of 5 GCSE passes to a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree.

Apprentices can be new or current employees and although there are several steps to take to start an apprenticeship scheme within your business, these are not difficult and there are numerous benefits.

Employers have stated that apprenticeships helped them develop skills relevant to their business and other benefits have been cited as being an increase in employee satisfaction, reduction in staff turnover and a reduction in recruitment costs. Please see this link  for more information.

You would need to choose an apprenticeship for your business. The types of apprenticeship programmes follow different levels of educational qualifications required and cover a huge range of different industries and levels. For more on this please click here.  You will then need to find an organisation that offers training for the apprenticeship you’ve chosen. This is easily done by entering your businesses postcode and you will find a range of different training providers.

You will need to check what funding is available. Smaller employers, who do not pay the apprenticeship levy share the cost of training and assessing their apprentices with the government. You pay 5% towards the cost of apprenticeship training. The government will pay the rest (95%) up to the funding band maximum. You can also claim up to £2,000 as an incentive payment if you hire an apprentice that starts with you between 1 August 2020 and 31 March 2021. You’ll have until 30 April 2021 to make the claim. It is not known at this time whether this funding will be extended.

You would then have to advertise your apprenticeship. You or your training provider can do this through the Find an Apprenticeship service. Once you have selected an apprentice, you would need to discuss and issue an apprenticeship agreement with them. advo hr would be able to help you draft this document.

Although the apprenticeship scheme may appear challenging to initially set up, your current employees may find it rewarding and motivating to support a new employee and the apprentice(s) will be working in the knowledge that at the end of this period they will have a qualification that is tremendously valuable, to them individually and to you as an employer. For in depth information, please click here.
If you need further help in supporting your employees then advo hr is here to help. In the first instance email us on advohr@advogroup.co.uk to start a conversation.