Recently advo had a teambuilding day (above is an image of the day) and it got us thinking about the benefits and value of these types of events provided they have a purpose and objectives behind the arrangements.
advo hr considers the benefits and value of team building events and offers tips on how to make it a success.
The advantages of spending time hosting team building days are:
- Increased collaboration within the business
- Encourages good communication
- Enhances creativity
- Can increase motivation and productivity
- Increases morale in the office
- Developing skills such as communication, planning, organisation, conflict resolution and problem solving.
- Identifies a team’s strengths and weaknesses
- Identifies hidden potential
In order for a team building day to be a success there are a number of things you should consider:
- The activity needs to be something everyone can take part in. If it is too physical, it may fill some employees with dread and concern weeks beforehand.
- Make sure it happens during work hours so it doesn’t encroach on employee’s personal time and it is more likely employees will be available otherwise they may have other commitments.
- Set a budget.
- Set objectives/common goals.
- Consider travel, how will you get to wherever you need to go? How long will it take? Where are employees coming from? How much will this cost?
- Eating – you will need to feed your employees during the day and consider any dietary requirements.
- Go out of the office – away from distractions like the phone/emails.
- Make it fun! Employees will be more engaged.
- Receive feedback.
Meet after (within the next 2 weeks) with any action points that may have come from the event.
Try and be creative and establish as a regular event. advo has a large number of events throughout the working year and tries to find activities that appeal to the majority of employees that everyone can join in. Our most recent event was held on one of the Southampton Solent Forts. The day involved relaxation, barbeque, treasure hunts, laser quest competitions and a bit of history thrown in. Often our events include a charity aspect such as raising money through sporting event sponsorship or our own Bake Off competition.
The days can be a challenge to arrange on top of your normal work but we have found it pays dividends in creating a supportive team culture.