AXA PPP Health Tech & You – a joint initiative led by AXA PPP healthcare with think tank 2020 health and the Design Museum – launched its second year as entries opened for the 2016 Health Tech & You Awards and the results of a new ‘State of the Nation’ survey on attitudes to health tech were announced at an event at Campus London, a Google space.
AXA PPP Health Tech & You aims to recognise, celebrate and showcase the best in personal health technology innovations and present them in an engaging and accessible way to give the public an insight into this rapidly evolving field. The initiative takes the form of a series of events taking place across the UK and a set of seven Health Tech & You Awards, each recognising a different achievement in the sector.
The ‘State of the Nation’ health tech report, commissioned by the AXA PPP Health Tech & You founding partners and undertaken by YouGov, surveyed of 2,045 adults and 546 14-17 year olds. Key findings include
- A quarter (24 per cent) of 18-24 year olds already own and use fitness related smartphone apps.
- 43 per cent of 18-24 year olds are happy to store their full medical information on a mobile phone app so it could be accessed by a healthcare professional if needed, compared with 36 per cent of those aged 25-34. Nearly half (48 per cent) of those aged 55 and over would be willing to have their full medical details stored on a microchip in a bracelet or necklace. This compares with just 36 per cent of those aged 25-34 and 18 to 24 respectively.
- Over a third (38 per cent) of 18-24 year olds are comfortable with the idea of having a robot carer during a short term illness. 37 per cent are comfortable with a robot carer during a long-term illness such as cystic fibrosis.
- 19 per cent of adults believed that the majority of future health tech will be designed in the USA. Japan also came out as 19 per cent, with the UK at 8 per cent
- 41 per cent are under the impression that China manufacture the majority of health tech, with 5 per cent seeing the UK the leader of manufacturing health technology
The seven AXA PPP Health Tech & You Award categories are:
- The Breakout Award
- The One to Watch Award
- The Champion Award
- The Problem/ Solution Award
- The Health and Care Award
- The Innovator Award
- The Independent Living Award
Each of the categories has its own judging and entry approach. Entries are now open. The
shortlisted category finalists will be announced on 1 March 2016 with a Health Tech & You
awards ceremony taking place on 25 April 2016.
Full press release on designmuseum.org